Friday, 1 August 2008

Work Experience

I have just finished doing two work placements back to back - the first was two weeks at Calvert&Pyrah, a company at Elvington airfield, then the second one was a week and a 1/2 working for my sister's bosses at their house in France.
They were very different in lot of ways.
I really enjoyed working at C&P I learnt a lot to do with software skills, designing for print and my confidence was boosted through the work I produced. I did a corporate identity for a marketing company, i was surprised that they trusted me to do this and i was really scared but in the end but I was very pleased with the results and Im glad they asked me to do it rather than making tea or something. heres some examples of ideas that i sent to the client and the final stationary set at the end. it was exciting to get my work printed :-)
















































































I also helped them with some really cool work that they do with a company called Paragon who they are joined onto (www.paragoncreativeltd.co.uk) who do theming, models, figures, fit-outs and interactives for museums, tourist attractions and anywhere like that. I helped them do a few things for Ripleys Believe It Or Not London which will be opening soon.
It was really enjoyable especially because of this unusual work they get to do. It helped me realise that i want to work in a company rather than freelance because in the second work place i felt alone and didn't have anyone to ask for advice. Also it helped me to confirm that I want to do design for print as i enjoyed all of that work but when i was asked to do templates for websites i didn't really enjoy it. I helped them to update Paragons website by doing new templates on Photoshop and even though it wasn't anything to do with building or programming the website just because i knew it was for the web i couldn't do it very well.















I also helped the owners of the company with some ideas for a logo for their t shirt company which is a side project from their business.

























In France i did a brochure, posters and identity for a company who train graduates and executives. it was a very boring subject matter so I didn't feel like i could do much with it. Also the boss had no communication skills, I wasnt given a proper brief and the boss went back to the UK after a few days so I had to guess what they wanted. I even had to rewrite some copy of the brochure because it was so appalling. Some of the best work I did got brutally rejected and the worst stuff they seemed to like so it made me realise that I wont get a say in what work goes through in the real world. Im glad I did it though because it will look good on my CV and I have to get used to being treated badly because it will probably happen again when I get a job.





No comments: