


In the optional module session a few weeks ago we read a piece of text and then had to illustrate it to communicate the main points as well as we could. My piece of text was about how its better for an office worker to be lazy becasue then they never get blamed for doing anything wrong and how lazy workers can get to high positions by acting this way. This is what I came up with. I enjoyed doing this so I searched for editorial/newspaper illustrators on the internet and looked at images in newspapers.
This is a picture from Pugh, a well known cartoonist for the Times. The images accompany a newspaper article at the side with a caption underneath. This one was for a story about John Darwin the 'missing' man and how his wife went to claim his life insurance. The illustrator has put a humourous tone of voice on the article by having this image next to it.
This images are from J.T.Yost who has done lots of illustrations for the New York Times. Unlike Pugh, there are no captions but the images are detailed and you can tell what they are trying to communicate.



These are by Noel Ford who also does illustrations for greeting cards and childrens books. He has done work for readers digest and other magazines and all his work is in this humourous cartoon style.


I think doing this kind of work would be interesting because you will be trying to put words into images and using signs and images to convey meaning. You have to use semiotics and know what images signify and how different meanings can be pulled from them. I think it's fascinating to see when an image can say just as much as written language can.

No comments:
Post a Comment