by standing felt tips on end and balancing a piece of paper on the nibs. When talking about it he said: 'My best friend from high school is amazing at drawing. We went on holiday to the south of France and at the beach he started to draw the view. I could never compete with my friend at drawing so I had to invent new rules. My solution: I drew two straight lines across the page, I wrote 'sky' in the top part, 'sea' in the middle part and 'sand' in the bottom part. I realised in that instance the craft and skill of drawing can be overcome with an idea.'
This completely enlightened me and my confidence was boosted after discovering so many more who have succeeded through different means of image making. I was interested in a particular edition of the magazine IDN because it was called cut and paste and I thought it might offer more insights into illustration without drawing. It showed work from a number of collage/montage artists who are all very individual and different.

Among these are Julien Pacaud who uses existing digital images to create his collages on a computer. His images are surreal worlds, composing black and white photography and objects with bold colour. He often colourises the black and white images on photoshop to give them an unnatural look. His work and clients have included doing singles covers for the electro alternative band GoodBooks, a front cover for French magazine TGV (about excessive psychotropic drug use in France) as well as continuing to produce personal work. He is also creating a web experiment, Automatic Art, which is an application which randomly creates artworks constituted by various bits of photographs loaded in real time on the internet.



This collage edition of this magazine has informed me that there are countless ways to solve illustrative design problems and I shouldn't worry about pure drawing skill as it is (although considered by many the corner stone of design), not imperative for good work. If we all did things the same way life would be very boring.

No comments:
Post a Comment